DEPORTEES from the United States (US) currently held in the country are each receiving a monthly living allowance of E500.
This was revealed by the ministry of justice and constitutional affairs while responding to questions raised by Mbabane East Member of Parliament (MP) Welcome Dlamini regarding the welfare of foreign offenders under the United States third-country deportee programme.
The MP had inquired about the number of foreign offenders under the United States deportee programme. He also sought clarity on whether the deportees were receiving any special dietary provisions while in custody.
In its response, the ministry, which is the parent ministry of His Majesty’s Correctional Services, stated that there was no special diet allocated to the inmates.
“There is no special diet for the American inmates; the only preference they have is that they are being allocated a monthly living allowance of E500 each,” the ministry said.
Responding to the number of foreign inmates, the ministry stated that there were currently 154 foreign inmates in the custody of His Majesty’s Correctional Services (HMCS).
While the ministry only answered the MP’s question on the number of foreign inmates, and not specifically the number of US deportees, it is common knowledge that there are currently 18 inmates from the United States.
ALSO READ | Eswatini receives 4 more US deportees
On March 12, the country received a group of four third-country nationals who were transferred from the United States.
According to a press statement released by acting Government Spokesperson Thabile Mdluli, the group consists of individuals from Tanzania, Sudan and Somalia.
This brings the total number of US deportees currently held in the country’s correctional facilities to 18.
Their arrival follows a previous cohort of 10 nationals who arrived in October last year, adding to an initial group of five received in July. These individuals were from countries including Cuba, Jamaica, Laos, Vietnam, and Yemen, among others.
Mdluli said the arrivals were part of an agreement with the United States of America, under which the United States transfers third-country nationals to Eswatini for the purpose of facilitating their eventual repatriation to their respective countries of origin.
Government stated that there had already been successful outcomes from the programme.
The acting government spokesperson said following the successful repatriation of a Jamaican national in September last year, another individual has received travel documents and is expected to depart the country shortly.
Furthermore, government said intensive engagements with the respective countries of origin for the remaining third-country nationals were ongoing.
On another note, MP Dlamini also questioned which authority was responsible for overseeing the welfare and upkeep of the deportees.
He raised concerns over reports suggesting that the United States had directed that funds provided in relation to the deportees should not be utilised by the country, amid indications that some of the money may already have been used.
In addressing concerns about funding linked to the programme, the ministry explained that financial support from the United States was being safeguarded under the National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA).
It further revealed that a task team had been appointed by the prime minister to monitor the funds associated with the deportees.








