THE two stock-theft suspects who were shot and killed by the police on Tuesday were allegedly a menace to the communities they lived in.
“Besebahluphe kakhulu,” said some residents of Ngculwini and Mafutseni in reaction to the news that the two suspects were shot and killed by the police while they were trying to evade arrest in connection with stock theft.
The deceased suspects have been identified as Dennis Bonginkosi Dlamini (36) and Celimphilo Gideon Ndzinisa (35) of Ngculwini under Mafutseni Inkhundla in the Manzini region. They were killed on Tuesday afternoon during a high-speed chase with the police at Mathangeni in Matsapha.
The police said the two were the subjects of intelligence-driven operations following reports that they were involved in ongoing stock theft activities in various parts of the country.
According to police reports, officers received information that the suspects were travelling in a Toyota Crystal Lite vehicle that was allegedly transporting carcasses of stolen goats. Acting on the tip-off, police attempted to intercept the vehicle at Mathangeni at around 12:30pm.
However, the suspects allegedly failed to heed police instructions to stop and instead sped off, triggering a high-speed pursuit. Police said the chase extended for some distance before the suspects abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot.
The vehicle that was used by the suspects was found abandoned at the scene, and police recovered the goat carcasses believed to have been stolen.
Reacting to the news, some residents of Ngculwini and Mafutseni expressed shock and relief at the same time. They stated that the names of the two suspects came up during a meeting held at a local dip tank in December.
According to the residents, the meeting’s agenda was to discuss spiking stock theft cases at Mafutseni, Ngculwini and surrounding areas. They said their communities had been turned into a turf by the stock thieves for several years now.
The residents said their stock had been stolen and slaughtered by rustlers, with the belief that the meat was sold to butcheries in Manzini and Matsapha.
Also, the residents alleged that Dlamini had been arrested in connection with similar offences before, but was released on bail. This was confirmed by the police.
Dlamini was wanted in connection with 12 stock theft cases, murder, housebreaking and theft and possession of goat carcasses. These offences were reportedly committed at Mafutseni, Mliba, Sidvokodvo and Matsapha. Out of the 12 offences, sources said Dlamini was out on bail for six cases which were committed in 2022. While out on bail, between 2025 and 2026, he allegedly committed four stock theft cases, illegally possessed goat carcasses and murder.
Ndzinisa, who was travelling with Dlamini when they were shot, was also wanted in connection with four stock theft-related cases and possession of a goat carcass in Matsapha and Mliba between 2025 and 2026.
Efforts to interview Dlamini’s brother identified at Madida proved futile. He warned this publication against contacting any of his family members and relatives about the matter.
When asked if he was aware of Dlamini’s alleged offences, the brother said: “If you want any information relating to Den, contact the police. They know everything.”
Meanwhile, Deputy Chief Police Information and Communications Officer, Assistant Superintendent Nosipho Mnguni said the breakthrough in identifying the stock theft suspects came through leads.
To curb the increasing cases, she said the Royal Eswatini Police Service’s Anti-Stock-Theft Department occasionally conducted intensive operations in areas informed by trends and patterns identified at specific times.
“So far, we have had positive leads. It is a pity that in some cases, suspects end up being fatally wounded,” said Mnguni.








