Farmers in the Lubombo region have blamed government for failing to publicly declare the new foot and mouth disease (FMD) outbreak.
As reported by this newspaper yesterday, the disease has spread to the Lubombo region, where over 10 dip tanks and farms around Lubulini have now been quarantined in the wake of the outbreak.
| Eswatini Observer WhatsApp Channel
This outbreak has affected dip tanks and farms at Mbuthu, Dip Mamba, Mbatjane, Mabhunu, Sikhele, Mkhiwa, Richmond Farm, Orbaland Farm, and Nduma Farm.
According to reports, Mabhunu has recorded the highest number of FMD cases, with 125 confirmed last Thursday. Richmond Farm follows closely with 115 cases, Orbaland Farm with 100, and Nduma Farm with 88.
Farmers warn that these alarming numbers are affecting both communal and title deed land farms, many of which supply livestock to local markets.
As a result, farmers in Lubombo have criticised the measures that have been undertaken, claiming that they were insufficient without proper government intervention and public awareness campaigns.
They emphasised the fact that early detection, prompt reporting, and transparent communication are critical in containing FMD outbreaks.
“Failure to declare the outbreak publicly not only endangers farmers but also poses a risk to trade in affected areas,” they claimed.
The farmers have called for immediate government action, including the implementation of control measures similar to those in Shiselweni, as well as support for those who have lost livestock or face financial hardship due to market disruptions.
Sabelo Myeni, a farmer under the Mbuthu dip tank, questioned why the ministry of agriculture has remained silent about the outbreak.
“There are still no control measures being implemented here, even though it is clear that the outbreak has spread to Lubombo. The ministry seems to be treating the situation as if it is only in the Shiselweni region,” said Myeni who questioned the lack of immediate action.
He added that the lack of government action is severely affecting farmers’ livelihoods.
“Most of us depend on buying and raising cattle for sale. The market has slowed down dramatically, and it is very hard to manage my large project of selling cattle under these conditions,” he said.
Similarly, Herman Mabuyakhulu from Nsubane expressed frustration over the lack of clear communication from authorities.
“Government must be open and transparent about the outbreak. We feel neglected as farmers. We are losing income and facing huge financial difficulties. It is painful to see our hard work being affected in this way,” he said, adding that local farmers are planning to meet and discuss possible solutions to mitigate the impact of FMD.
Situation
At Richmond Farm, Sathane Magagula described the situation as challenging, noting that there is currently no market for livestock.
“All our cattle have received the first dose of vaccination and we have been told that we may have to wait for up to three months before things return to normal. We have no choice but to be patient, but without timely support and clear guidelines, the region risks further spread of FMD, which could have devastating consequences for livestock production and the local economy,” he said.
Government rolled out vaccination programmes in the Shiselweni region to control the disease.
Ministry of Agriculture Principal Secretary Sydney Simelane referred questions relating to the Lubombo outbreak to Minister Mandla Tshawuka, who he said would address the issue in a press briefing this week. The PS said the briefing had been delayed by a meeting which is supposed to take place before the press briefing.
“The minister will either issue a report or call a press briefing this week to give all details,” he said.
Eswatini Observer Press Reader | View Here







