The Royal Science and Technology Park (RSTP) has been plunged into fresh leadership uncertainty after the contract of its third acting chief executive officer in three years, Madoda Mdziniso, expired last week, with no clarity on who is currently running the institution.
Mdziniso’s acting contract expired on August 13 and a week later, the RSTP Board announced the restart of the search for a substantive CEO after its earlier recruitment process produced Zimbabwean Jeremiah Munembe as the preferred candidate, before Cabinet rejected the recommendation for what ICT Minister Savannah Maziya told Parliament was a preference for locals in strategic leadership positions.
The latest development means the State-owned technology hub is once again caught between an expired acting arrangement and an unfinished recruitment process, extending a leadership vacuum that has persisted since the non-renewal of former CEO Vumile Dlamini’s contract in July 2023.
Mdziniso became the third person to occupy the CEO’s position in an acting capacity. Dr Andile Meftula initially assumed the position but later left after the statutory six-month limit governing acting appointments in public enterprises elapsed.
Responsibility subsequently shifted to Chief Financial Officer Nomvula Shongwe-Gulwako, who simultaneously held the CFO and acting CEO positions before her acting instrument also expired.
Mdziniso, a principal science officer and science, technology and innovation policy coordinator in the ministry’s department of research, science, technology and innovation, was then brought in as acting CEO.
At the time, he was also serving as an RSTP Board member representing the ministry.
When asked about the expiry of Mdziniso’s contract and who was currently leading the institution, Minister Maziya did not identify anyone. Instead, she emphasised that the handling of acting appointments and recruitment of a substantive CEO rested with the RSTP Board.
“The hiring of the CEO is left entirely to the board as prescribed by national statutes. When contracts of acting parties expire, they are either renewed or other parties are appointed,” Maziya said.
“We trust that the board will handle this whole process in a professional, timeous manner and that the most appropriate individual who can take the organisation to the desired first world status is appointed,” she added.
Insiders within the RSTP Board told this newspaper there had been an expectation that Cabinet would consider the renewal of Mdziniso’s acting contract this past week. The matter, however, was ultimately not tabled and is said to now be expected to come before Cabinet on Tuesday.
The RSTP board formally announced its return to the market for a substantive chief executive this week though an advertisement issued through AM Recruitment Services (AMRS), which states shows that applications for the position close on Monday, August 31, at 2pm.
The institution is seeking what the advert describes as a ‘dynamic and visionary’ CEO capable of driving its business strategy, organisational development and growth while advancing innovation and technological development in the country.
Among other responsibilities, the successful candidate will be expected to develop and implement RSTP’s strategic plan, strengthen governance and financial sustainability, mobilise resources, oversee projects and help establish the park as a regional and international centre of excellence.
Candidates are required to possess master’s qualifications in a science-related discipline and business leadership or management, together with at least 15 years of demonstrated leadership experience in a senior executive role.
The earlier recruitment process for the position ran from September 2024 until April 2025. Eight candidates were shortlisted and seven interviewed before Munembe emerged as the board’s preferred candidate.
Cabinet, however, rejected the recommendation, with Maziya telling Parliament that the decision was based on the position that strategic leadership posts should prioritise locals. Munembe currently serves as group managing director of AB Communications.
The circumstances surrounding former CEO Vumile’s departure have also resurfaced before Liqoqo, the King’s Advisory Council as Maziya, Ministry Principal Secretary Andreas Dlamini, Vumile Dlamini and former RSTP Board member Walter Bennett were among those summoned over the long-running matter earlier this year.
Liqoqo Chairperson Paul Dlamini confirmed that individuals linked to the matter had appeared before the advisory council, but declined to discuss the substance of the proceedings because of their confidential nature. “I can only confirm that some people were summoned as issues of Liqoqo are confidential,” he said. The renewed process has reportedly also brought governance and financial issues at the Park back into focus.
Among them is a confidential capital expenditure report compiled by former RSTP management, which alleges that government owed the institution approximately E198 million by the end of the previous financial year, despite the funds allegedly having been approved by Parliament and receiving royal assent.
The report further alleges that delayed and partial transfers over several years disrupted capital projects at the park, resulting in incomplete infrastructure, idle laboratories and stalled biotechnology programmes.








