MEMBERS of Parliament (MPs) have challenged Minister of Tinkhundla Administration and Development Sikhumbuzo Dlamini to name and shame the legislators that are allegedly implicated in the looting of the Regional Development Fund (RDF).
This follows a statement made by Dlamini on Monday during the ministry’s exercise, dubbed ‘Taking the Budget to the People’, with tindvuna tetinkhundla and bucopho under the Lubombo region, held at the Siteki Town Hall. The minister claimed there were irregularities in accessing the RDF, saying corruption was rife at the centres.
“Some MPs are looting the RDF,” the minister alleged.
| Eswatini Observer WhatsApp Channel
This prompted the MPs to demand that the minister name and shame those allegedly involved in corruption instead of making a blanket statement. They stated that since they would be having a sitting today, they would expect the minister to enlighten them about what his statement meant and also present evidence on the allegations that he had made if he would be present during the sitting.
Kwaluseni MP Sifiso Shongwe said the minister should name those involved in corruption at the RDAs instead of implicating all MPs.
He said he was shocked by the allegations, stressing that MPs were honourable members who were expected to uphold integrity and trustworthiness.
Shongwe argued that the failure to name the individuals involved created the impression that the entire House was implicated.
He said those who had looted RDF funds should be named and arrested, adding that the minister was wrong to implicate all MPs.
He further noted that MPs often faced baseless accusations, but it was shocking that this time the allegations were from a sitting minister.
“The minister needs to prove these allegations and not just make such public statements. I personally take offence because I am not part of the MPs involved in corruption,” he said.
Mpolonjeni MP Kwanele Ndzimandze said MPs were shocked to learn of the allegations through the media.
He said the minister’s comments suggested that he had information that MPs were unaware of, and therefore he should name the corrupt individuals so that they could be arrested.
He added that the minister should present evidence to both Parliament and the public before making damaging allegations.
“I do not know about this, because I have never engaged in any corrupt activity. The corrupt MPs should be named,” he said.
Nkhaba MP Hope Shiba said the allegations were painful, noting that only last week he had received projects in his constituency funded through the RDF. He said as far as he knew, the fund was being fairly administered in phases, and he hoped the minister’s statement had been taken out of context.
“I think the minister will apologise if he indeed said this. MPs are not heavily involved in the selection process, since RDF applications are submitted to bucopho and then further ranked. This is not true, and the saddest part is that the king commissioned MPs to encourage the nation to apply for the fund as a way of ending poverty in communities,” he said.
Motshane MP Wilton Nkambule said if the minister had proof, he should present it so that those involved in corruption could be held accountable.
“If he was referring to all of us, then we should all be held accountable, because no one is above the law,” he said.
Matter
Mhlume MP Sifiso Magagula said an MP himself, the minister should have raised the matter directly with MPs if he believed they were involved.
“If the statement was indeed made, he should name those involved, since the public now believes all MPs are corrupt. The minister should confront them and clarify the issue, or apologise if it was a mistake,” he said.
Mafutseni MP Sabelo Mtetwa said they were awaiting a parliamentary sitting so that the minister could shed more light on such comments. He said he had never personally benefited from the RDF, nor had any of his relatives.
He added that MPs were left shocked and confused, since relatives of MPs were also members of the constituencies and therefore had a right to apply.
Mtetwa further questioned how MPs could be accused of manipulating the system when decisions were made collectively by the council, with the indvuna yenkhundla having the final say.
“How, then, are we overruling the inkhundla council and the chairperson?” he asked.
Mahlangatsha MP Mgucisi Dlamini said he was unaware of any corruption, adding that he was shocked by the allegations.
He explained that MPs and inkhundla councillors were not even allowed to apply for the fund, and that the vetting process for beneficiaries was rigorous.
“Relatives are also not allowed to form part of the committee. This cannot be a family or MP matter. We are expecting answers and a ministerial statement on this,” he said. Maseyisini MP Nokuthula Dlamini said she only learnt of the looting allegations through the media. She described the allegations as a sweeping statement that had not been verified.
She said the minister might have information on certain MPs but should present evidence and name them.
“He should also explain how MPs are allegedly involved in handling money, because we are shocked and confused as to why we are being implicated,” she said.
Shiselweni I MP Shawnette Henwood said none of her relatives had applied for the RDF and her role was only to encourage people to apply.
She said she was shocked at the implication that MPs could loot the fund.
“If only the names of the implicated MPs had been mentioned,” she said.
Madlangempisi MP Allen Vilane suggested that corruption could be linked to the provisions of the Tinkhundla system and possible influence in the process.
Inquiry
He said government should revisit beneficiaries and conduct an inquiry to establish the truth.
“I do not believe any MPs will be involved in RDF looting. The minister is an intelligent man who would not make such claims without evidence.
The system can be manipulated because corruption exists everywhere. Those who want to be corrupt will find a way. The system is shallow, but now that this has been exposed, I hope it will stop,” he said.
Lugongolweni MP Joseph Souza said there were many stakeholders involved, including umphakatsi. He said MPs only became involved once documents had already been signed at every level, and were not part of the grassroots processes.
“I am not involved in this matter, because it is not true,” he said.
Ludzeludze MP Nomkhosi Masuku said she did not believe the system could be manipulated, as it had many processes.
She said she was unaware of any such issues and was still confused by the allegations.
“The minister might be basing this on something he knows. I do not think the relatives of MPs should be barred from applying for the fund, since they are also part of the constituency. I think there is more to this than meets the eye, if the statement is true,” she said.
Eswatini Observer Press Reader | View Here





![Skills mismatch fuels unemployment crisis – BE Business Eswatini CEO E. Nathi Dlamini. [Pic: business Eswatini]](https://www.eswatiniobserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/589732657_1272243494945049_6375808521871538244_n-218x150.jpg)
