
A three-year-old toddler has died after eating peanuts laced with rat poison at Lukhetseni in the outskirts of Siphofaneni.
Philani Mamba tragically passed away Sunday morning after mistakenly consuming the ground peanuts mixed with poison that had been set out to kill rats.
The child’s grieving father, Wonder Mamba, said the boy had been playing inside the house when he came into contact with the deadly mixture, which had been placed in a lunchbox and hidden under a table.
“I was at work when I received a distressing call from my mother informing me that my son had passed away. She explained that he ate peanuts mixed with rat poison that was meant to kill rats,” he said.
The poisoned peanuts, mixed with a black granular substance, had been placed to attract rodents that had been troubling the family.
It was stated that at the time of the incident, other occupants of the house were outside preparing to go to church and had forgotten about the poison, leaving the child alone inside.
Family members said they believed that the boy crawled under the table, likely drawn by the smell of the peanuts, and consumed them.
A witness said the child later went outside and excitedly told other children that their grandmother had brought peanuts from town.
“Suspicious, the children went to their grandmother to ask about the peanuts, who denied buying any, but the comment immediately raised alarm. She rushed back into the house, where her worst fears were confirmed after discovering that the container with the poisoned peanuts was missing,” said the family member.
In a desperate attempt to save the child, the grandmother is said to have administered traditional first-aid remedies, including cow dung and cooking oil, in an effort to induce vomiting. However, the child’s condition did not improve.
The family member added that arrangements were made to rush him to a nearby health facility but he was certified dead upon arrival.
ALSO READ | Mkhulu (78) ordered to pay yearly maintenance for spouse
The tragic incident left the close-knit Lukhetseni community devastated.
“You don’t often see something like this happen. It is truly heartbreaking. We are praying for the family,” said one resident.
The matter was reported to Siphofaneni Police Station and an investigation has since been launched.
Preliminary investigations revealed that this was not the first time the family had used the toxic substance, which was allegedly purchased from a vendor, to kill rats.
Police indicated that they would inspect the market stall where the poison was bought.
Authorities further urged residents to take precautions to prevent children from accessing pesticides and other toxic substances.
They also cautioned against purchasing unlabelled or potentially dangerous products.
Acting Chief Police Information and Communications Officer, Assistant Superintendent Nosipho Mnguni, confirmed receiving a report on the incident.
Meanwhile, the child was buried yesterday in a bid to cut costs.
The child’s father disclosed that he was the only one in gainful employment, adding that he could not afford mortuary fees.
“I made a request to local traditional leaders and they gave us the green light to conduct the funeral,” he said.
A community leader surnamed Gamedze confirmed these developments.







