The fate of the teacher accused of absenteeism from work for six months after going to initiation school now lies with the Teaching Service Commission (TSC).
This follows his submission of a written explanation to the ministry of education and training last Friday. The Ngcoseni Community High School Mathematics and Science teacher Mbongeni Msibi had been asked by the Schools Manager Lungelo Nhlengetfwa to show cause why he should not be dismissed from work for being absent from work for such a long time.
The schools manager confirmed yesterday that he had received Msibi’s written response. He said the matter would now be referred to the TSC, which is responsible for deciding the teacher’s fate.
The TSC is mandated to oversee all matters relating to teachers’ terms and conditions of service, including appointments, termination of appointments, disciplinary control and removal from office.
Nhlengetfwa said the commission would consider Msibi’s explanation that he had been undergoing training as a sangoma during the period he was away from work. However, he said consideration would be on whether what he trained for is beneficial to his teaching profession.
The schools manager added that, pending the finalisation of the matter, Msibi would remain suspended without pay.
RELATED | Teacher faces dismissal after six-month disappearance
Msibi is fighting to save his job after he was served with a suspension letter and another letter requiring him to explain why he should not be dismissed for allegedly being absent from work for more than six months.
The teacher previously said he left work on May 24, 2025 and travelled to an initiation school in Siteki. He admitted that he did not formally inform either the school or his employer before leaving.
However, Msibi argued that his disappearance had been beyond his control. He claimed that he lost consciousness and only later realised that he was at his initiator’s home. He further stated that he lost his cellphones, making it impossible for him to communicate.
According to Msibi, he later asked his brother and initiator to prepare affidavits and letters explaining his whereabouts, which he claimed were submitted to the school.
He has maintained that he made several attempts to notify the authorities, but alleged that the documents were not accepted by the school, the Manzini Regional Education Office and the ministry.
Nhlengetfwa has denied ever receiving any such correspondence, saying the only document his office received was a letter from the headteacher informing him that the teacher had disappeared.
The case had been reported to the Swaziland National Association of Teachers (SNAT) under which Msibi affiliates.






![Skills mismatch fuels unemployment crisis – BE Business Eswatini CEO E. Nathi Dlamini. [Pic: business Eswatini]](https://www.eswatiniobserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/589732657_1272243494945049_6375808521871538244_n-218x150.jpg)

