Police have made a major breakthrough in the theft of a total of E2 million at Standard Bank, arresting two employees on separate occasions on Thursday.
This relates to two separate theft incidents that were reported at the Manzini branch of Standard Bank towards the end of the past year, 2025.
The arrested suspects were identified as Linda Stewart (44), a Standard Bank employee whose job was to refill Auto Teller Machines, and Mxolisi Mavuso (44) of Jubela.
Stewart was reportedly apprehended by the police while at his home area of Sidzakeni, around Mankayane, shortly after 10am on Thursday, while his workmate, Mavuso, was captured around Manzini at about the same time, on the same day.
The latest development was confirmed by acting Chief Police Information and Communications Officer Assistant Superintendent Nosipho Mnguni yesterday.
Both suspects were taken to Manzini Police Station, where they were detained and subsequently charged separately in connection with their respective offences.
The suspects had been on the run for the past three months after being identified as persons of interest by the police around December of the past year.
In respect of Stewart, police said the bank employee stands accused of allegedly taking money meant for ATMs on different dates, from April 2023 up until when the theft was uncovered on December 6, 2025.
The misappropriation of the money belonging to the financial institution reportedly came to light when the bank carried out an internal audit, during which it stumbled upon the discrepancy in cash refilled at selected ATMs around Manzini.
The identified employee emerged as the prime suspect as he was the custodian of the money. The bank subsequently registered a criminal offence against him.
Giving details of how he pulled it off, a bank manager told Manzini police that the money was allegedly stolen from different ATMs around Manzini.
ALSO READ | Six months on, ENPF board still to convene
Police heard that the man’s job was to replenish the ATMs, but would steal some cash meant to refill the machines on different dates since 2023 until the loot accumulated to E1 399 700.00.
It is suspected that he pocketed the money and managed to avoid getting caught for two years.
Standard Bank confirmed the incident but would not divulge any further details, stating that such was against protocol, and especially since the matter was reported to the relevant authorities.
“The bank has a well-established process in place which guides how such matters are addressed, in line with applicable law and regulating requirements,” stated Nomawethu Jonga, the bank’s Communications CSI Specialist Brand and Marketing.
Mavuso, on the other hand, stands accused of allegedly stealing close to E500 000. The suspect was alleged to have fleeced the bank funds from multiple customer accounts and various suspense accounts since June 2020, up until when the theft was detected early in December last year.
Suspense accounts are temporary internal accounts used to hold funds when a transaction cannot be immediately completed or properly allocated. Unlike regular customer accounts, they are not meant for long-term storage of money or routine transactions.
Meanwhile, other cases of financial theft have recently surfaced. The investigation began around the second week of May, after a businessman reported that about E288 000, which he had kept in a safe at his residence located at Nyakeni, had disappeared.
Police investigators processed the scene for possible clues and reached the conclusion that the man’s romantic partner could assist with information that could aid their investigation.
A source disclosed that it was discovered that the culprit apparently gained access to the safe while the pair lived together.
Preliminary investigation indicated that the money was stolen piece meal, at different intervals where different amounts were involved, and over a prolonged period of time.








