MTN Manager Corporate Affairs and Sustainability Thandwayinkhosi Dlamini.
MTN Manager Corporate Affairs and Sustainability Thandwayinkhosi Dlamini.
Reading Time: 3 minutes

TWO suspects have been arrested over the alleged theft of airtime exceeding E10 million from MTN Eswatini.


The two, aged 37 and 29 of KaDlovunga and Ntondozi respectively, were arrested and charged by Mbabane police in connection with the theft case.

The investigation was initiated after a senior financial operations manager of the mobile phone network provider (40) of Mabuya Township discovered that airtime stock valued at E10 257 000 had been stolen over a period spanning from January 2024 to January this year.

According to information gathered, the suspects were employed by one of MTN’s service providers and had access to airtime stock, and were responsible for its distribution to various outlets.

It is reported that the suspects would divert a portion of the stock and conduct a side business by selling the stolen airtime to certain distributors.

Acting Chief Police Information and Communications Officer (PICO) Assistant Superintendent Nosipho Mnguni, who confirmed the arrests, disclosed that a theft case was opened, prompting an investigation leading to the suspects being rounded up on Wednesday.

She said they were scheduled to appear before the Mbabane Magistrate’s Court today.

The incident was also confirmed by MTN Manager Corporate Affairs and Sustainability Thandwayinkhosi Dlamini yesterday.

“MTN Eswatini confirms that the company is aware of the recent arrest of the two in connection with the theft of airtime stock valued at E10 257 000,” she said.

She disclosed that the crime was detected through MTN Eswatini’s internal controls, after which the matter was promptly reported to the Royal Eswatini Police Service.

Law enforcement authorities acted swiftly, leading to the arrest of the individuals involved, she added.

ALSO READ | Govt needs to step up in protecting rights for the elderly’

“MTN Eswatini continues to cooperate fully with the ongoing legal processes,” said Dlamini.

The company assured customers and stakeholders that customer airtime remains safe, secure, and was not affected by this incident.

Dlamini said robust systems and safeguards were in place to protect customer assets and to ensure that service integrity is protected at all times.

MTN Eswatini said it strongly condemns any form of fraud, theft, or cyber-related crime.

“The company calls on all Emaswati to remain vigilant against cybercrime and related criminal activities, and to report any suspicious behaviour or incidents immediately through the appropriate channels,” stressed the company’s corporate affairs manager.

She said MTN Eswatini remains committed to ethical conduct, transparency, and the protection of its customers, partners, and communities.

MTN Eswatini is a subsidiary of MTN Group and was introduced to the country in 1998.


On another note, the long arm of the law has also finally caught up with Mphumelelo Thokozani Manana, who had been on the radar of Manzini police under the Fraud Unit in connection with a housebreaking and theft incident at Standard Bank Manzini Business Centre on February 12.

Assistant Superintendent Mnguni confirmed that Manana, suspected to be linked to a string of similar offences, has been arrested, with investigations still ongoing. He is expected to appear before the Manzini Magistrate’s Court today.

Kunene (26) of Bulunga, a former security guard at the bank, allegedly committed the offence alongside Sandile Stanley Sibandze (45) of Maliyaduma, who was arrested on the same day the offence was committed.

Sibandze appeared before Magistrate Philisiwe Simelane at the Manzini Magistrate’s Court on February 16, where he was granted bail fixed at E10 000.

He faces charges of housebreaking with intent to steal, as well as possession of housebreaking implements.

The pair allegedly gained entry into the bank through a high window in the early hours of February 12, before forcing their way through the ceiling in an attempt to access cash stored inside the premises, including funds in the automated teller machines (ATMs).

However, their attempt to access the bank’s cash reserves was unsuccessful.

Police reportedly received a tip-off shortly after the suspects fled the scene.

The police tracked the suspects to the vicinity of Millennium Park, where they were allegedly spotted on foot. Kunene managed to escape, while Sibandze was apprehended.

He was allegedly found in possession of a stolen laptop, laptop bag, as well as a crowbar and bolt cutter.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here